Monday, September 8, 2008

One Step Closer to Planting


This is sure taking longer than I thought! With the heat and the amount of physical labor involved I find I am limited by what I can do and what I can pay to have done. That being said, I am learning to ask people to help, whether I pay them or not, I am asking people I know, like my neighbors, to help me with the steps I cannot do myself. I suppose this is also part of the community building that goes along with such a bog project. I am just glad my first one of this scale is at my own home!

AND I am excited to announce the dead bermuda has been tilled and raked from the front yard. Eloy, who I met through our neighborhood community garden, had this great tractor/tiller. He lives so close he drove it over to my house and drove it over the lawn to till up the dead bermuda down to about 4-5 inches deep. Then he and another guy raked up the loosened grass and leveled the yard for me.


I had them take off some of the top soil as well, but the soil that was tilled up looks pretty good. I want to lower the garden beds from the driveway and sidewalk to keep the water on my lot. It ran off when I watered the grass so I knew it was high. Plus this will give me some room for amendments.


During the heavy rains this summer I took time to OBSERVE the water flow and puddling in my yard. I have a lot of water that runs off the roof, directed by 2 peaks on either side of the front porch cover, which is just an old aluminum roof. The dirt has eroded pretty deep. I can see the underside on the concrete footings of the porch. So I will build that up with some of the concrete debris I have from removing the brick path and use earthworks for the water to be diverted into the center of the yard where a future tree will be planted. This may not get done before planting.

Soil is heavy. It took two trips to the dump with my neighbor Kevin’s truck. What a great guy he is, he hired a few workers to shovel it all off my driveway and into his truck. They did a great job sweeping up afterwards as well.

And ALL of this happened when I was not at home! (I did get a chance to take a few pictures for my blog.) The only casualties were a few sprinkler heads, But now they I can get to them so easily with all the grass growing up into them, I was able to replace the broken heads myself.

I still have more to do before I plant my cover crop. I will order the compost tea through my friend Jennifer, buy the mustard green seeds (Don said Whole Foods has them in the sprouting section) and I still have some digging out of bermuda around the existing planter beds.

I will also do a jar test of the spoil to see how much clay, loam, silt and sand I have so I know how to amend it. That may mean a load of compost from Ken Singh.

I am targeting the weekend of September 20 & 21 to get the seeds in and tea sprayed. Anyone want to join me and learn how while I do, you are welcome. Just give me a call!



Doreen Pollack
623-217-6038

0 comments:

Labels

AZ vegetable gardens (12) arizona gardening (12) compost (10) Garden Goddess (9) Down 2 Earth Gardens (8) Phoenix (7) permaculture (6) vegetable Gardens (6) AZ (5) bermuda grass removal (5) community garden consultant (5) edible gardens (5) gardens (5) monsoon rains (5) Garden planning (4) seed saving (4) Community Gardens (3) Companion planting (3) Garden design (3) Soil (3) apple trees (3) beets (3) computer garden design tools (3) desert (3) fall planting (3) herbs (3) low desert gardening (3) low desert winter gardens (3) mosquitoes (3) mulching (3) rain harvesting (3) Garden Maintenance (2) Gardening tips (2) Master Gardeners (2) Rain barrels (2) Squash Bugs (2) Swiss Chard (2) Three sisters garden (2) amending soil (2) apple (2) basil (2) bats (2) citrus (2) design (2) earth day (2) edible (2) flowers (2) gardening (2) green peppers (2) mint (2) nematodes (2) pruning (2) rain guage (2) rosemary (2) soil secrets (2) sustainable gardens (2) tomatoes (2) tree (2) "Bill McDorman" (1) ARMLS (1) African marigolds (1) Blossom End Rot (1) Christmas Cactus (1) Clay (1) Coirn (1) Companion planting. (1) Contest (1) Cornville (1) Corriander seed (1) Deswrt gardening (1) Doreen Pollack (1) Double digging (1) Fall garden clean up (1) Fall gardens (1) Gambusia (1) Garden Tools (1) Garden books (1) Garden workshops (1) Grden Journals (1) Healing Gardens (1) Heirloom seeds (1) Home Staging (1) Humus (1) Japanese beetles (1) Johnny Jump-ups (1) Kohlrabi (1) Loam (1) Mesquite Flour (1) Microorganisms (1) Phoeniz (1) Pole Beans (1) Red amaranth (1) Sand (1) Sierra Club (1) Slow Food Phoenix (1) Soil Food Web (1) Squash (1) Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes (1) Toby Hemenway (1) Tree Pruning (1) Wildlife habitats (1) amaranth (1) artichoke seeds (1) bachelor button (1) bermudal grass removal (1) bird netting (1) bok choy (1) broccoli rabe (1) brussel sprouts (1) bugs (1) cilantro (1) compost. bugs (1) corn cups (1) cutworms (1) dandelion greens (1) digging (1) dirt (1) earthworks (1) eating from the garden (1) edible cactus (1) edible container garden (1) feeding fruit trees (1) fertilizer (1) fleas (1) flies (1) flower gardens (1) food (1) frost (1) fruit trees (1) garden (1) garden bed preparation (1) garden coaching (1) garden disease control (1) garden journal (1) gardening quiz (1) grass (1) green (1) green beans (1) green features (1) green gift giving (1) grren beans (1) harvesting (1) heirloom (1) holloyhocks (1) home selling (1) how much to plant (1) infections (1) injury in the garden (1) ladybird (1) ladybud (1) lavender (1) leafy greens (1) leaves (1) lettuce (1) mosquities (1) mosquito control (1) mycorrhizae (1) native foods (1) native seeds (1) natural mosquito repellant (1) natural mosquitoe repellant (1) new garden (1) olive trees (1) on-line garden club (1) oregano (1) palo verd tree (1) pansies (1) peach (1) peach trees (1) peaches (1) permaculture design (1) permaculture design course (1) pest control (1) pesticides (1) plastic (1) poor drainage (1) praying mantis (1) prickly pear (1) professional gardener (1) protecting fruit trees from birds (1) radicchio (1) radishes (1) rain water (1) rain water harvesting (1) ratoons (1) recycle (1) root rot (1) second crop (1) soil building (1) soil secrets. nitrogen (1) soil testing (1) southwest vegetable gardens (1) spinach (1) squash vines (1) stock (1) summer (1) sunflower (1) sunflowers (1) surface water (1) sustainability (1) sweet peppers (1) tilling (1) tomato (1) transplant (1) trash (1) trees (1) vegetable (1) vegetablvegetable Gardens (1) violas (1) water use (1) waterharvesting (1) watering a garden (1) weather (1) wildflowers (1) wind (1) xeriscape plant (1) year-round gardening (1)